QUICK LINKS Click here for more DAS links

Department of Administrative Services

Purchasing Contacts in State Government

Contacting the "right" person to market your products or services is an important part of selling your commodities or services to State Government. This information is provided to assist you in finding the "right" person.

Consider what you sell, how the State is likely to buy what you sell, and how to bring your product or service to the attention of the "right" people. If your product or service is commonly used by many State agencies, you may wish to begin with a contact to the Department of Administrative Services, General Services Enterprise - Purchasing or other agency with independent purchasing authority. The State buys common items, such as office supplies, paper and personal computers for the Enterprise through one or several contracts.

On the other hand, if your product or service is likely to be purchased by an individual department or a State field unit (i.e., a prison or State park), a direct contact to that agency or field unit might be the best approach.

Marketing your service or product is the key to making sales to State agencies. Call, send an e-mail or visit these State staff. You'll find them friendly and helpful. If they cannot help you directly, they will work with you to find the "right" person.

Department of Administrative Services Purchasing Agents

The Department of Administrative Services, General Services Enterprise (GSE) - Purchasing acts as a business agent for State agencies, helping them buy a variety of goods and services. If your business provides a commodity or service that the State needs, GSE purchasing agents will work with you to establish a Statewide contract for transactions up to $10,000 per occurrence. A Statewide contract enables State agencies to purchase directly from you within contract prices, terms and conditions.

All competitively bid procurements must be advertised on the TSB web site  48 hours in advance of general advertisement. This announcement includes the name of the contact person and a telephone number or e-mail address. This announcement includes the name of the contact person and a telephone number or e-mail address.

GSE purchasing agents are familiar with the needs of State agencies. Please call or E-mail them for assistance.

Agencies/Facilities Financial Managers and Purchasing contacts.

Business managers and their purchasing staff at prisons, the Iowa Veterans' Home and mental health institutions are a good place to start if your product or service is likely to be needed by one of these facilities, but not commonly purchased on a Statewide basis. After the sale, these State employees are the best people to contact regarding payment, after sale service and warranty issues. Make them aware of your capability to serve them through a telephone call, e-mail, or an in-person visit.

Although each location does not have a web site of their own, there is a web location where you can see the different areas.

For the Human Services locations, please visit: Human Services Agencies.

For the Correction locations, please visit: Correction Facilities.

All other Agencies Financial Managers and Purchasing contacts

Authorized agency personnel have authority to purchase items up to $10,000 from TSB's directly, using either a DAS contract, or by soliciting a direct quotation. If an agency has independent procurement authority, they may contact you for competitive procurements up to $10,000. Please use these contacts if you believe your product or service can be of benefit to the unique needs of a particular agency. Otherwise, you may wish to contract GSE purchasing agents if your product or service may be needed by multiple agencies. Vendor payments are handled directly by each agency. For payment, service or warranty issues, please refer to this schedule for the appropriate agency contact.

This listing includes: Agencies with Independent Purchasing Authority (IPA)

These agencies and regent institutions may by law purchase commodities, services, or construction independent of the Department of Administrative Services.

The director of Administrative Services may also purchase items through contracts established by the state department of transportation, the institutions under the control of the board of regents, >or any other agency exempted by law from centralized purchasing. [See Iowa Code section 18.3(1) paragraph 4.]